Home »

Journal Entry 3: “Good English”

As a student, I’ve been led to believe that standard English is the only correct way to speak and write. It’s important to be concise and “proper” in order for your work to be valid and your audience to understand. Because of this old way of thinking, many have belittled English dialects like African American English (AAE). As stated by McCulloch, “we know that where and how you grow up influences your idiolect, so why is it acceptable to penalize people for something no one has any control over?” There are not two people who speak the same, everyone has different styles, tones, and diction. For example, celebrity Cardi B is often ridiculed because of her speech pattern, which is viewed as “ghetto” and unintelligent. Her most recent instagram video regarding the government shutdown received a lot of backlash because many believe her way of speaking disqualifies her from speaking about important issues. 

After reading McCulloch’s article I greater believe that there isn’t one correct English. In the United States alone there are numerous English variations which is fascinating to see. I understand the concept of using one form of English for a universal connection, it’s not an invalid point. It’s unfortunate that we’re being unjustly judged for something so opinion-based; ultimately the title “good English” is just an opinion, so why are people still being stigmatized by non-factual thoughts?

1. Yes, this is THE point that McCulloch was trying to get at. And about Cardi B, SO ON POINT! Ugh, I just wish I had read this post earlier so I would have asked you to share this point with the class!